December 22, 2015
Internationally respected liturgical music director and organist John A. Romeri will lead burgeoning music ministry.
Garden Grove, CA (Dec. 8, 2015) – After extensive study, discernment, and reflection regarding the unique and dynamic needs of the developing music ministry of Christ Cathedral and the scope of responsibilities and key attributes that a future leader of this program should possess, the Most Reverend Kevin Vann, Bishop of Orange has selected Dr. John A Romeri, former Director of Liturgical Music for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, as the first Christ Cathedral Director of Music Ministries. Dr. Romeri will lead the development of not only the Christ Cathedral Parish’s music program but also the liturgical music program that will support major diocesan celebrations that will take place within the inspiring edifice of the Christ Cathedral after its renovation and dedication. Dr. Romeri will begin his work at Christ Cathedral January 19, 2016.
Dr. John A. Romeri
September 2010 until September 2015
- Dr. John A. Romeri served as Director of Liturgical Music for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
- Director of Music and Organist at the Cathedral Basilica of SS Peter and Paul.
- Conductor: Cathedral Basilica Choir.
- Reestablished the Archdiocesan Choir of Philadelphia.
- Founder: Archdiocesan Girls’ Choir.
- created Concerts at the Cathedral Basilica and served as its Artistic and Executive Director.
1992 – 2010
- Director of Music and Organist of the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis.
- Director of the Office of Sacred Music for the Archdiocese of Saint Louis.
- Artistic and Executive Director for Saint Louis Cathedral Concerts, which he established.
- Fourteen of those years, Dr. Romeri served as the organist for the Saint Louis Symphony.
- Adjunct professor at both Duquesne and Carlow Universities.
- Bachelor of Music degree in Organ Performance, Magna cum Laude, from the Conservatory of Music, University of the Pacific, Stockton, California.
- Master of Sacred Music degree from Westminster Choir College, Princeton, New Jersey.
- Choirmaster and Associate Certificates from the American Guild of Organists.
- In 1998, he was presented an Honorary Doctorate in Humane Letters from Lindenwood University in Saint Louis.
Professional Associations & Awards
- Chair of the National Association of Pastoral Musicians’ National Board of Directors and was named “Pastoral Musician of the Year” by that organization in 2003.
- Missouri Choral Directors Association: Outstanding Choir Director for 1998-1999 .
- 1999: Coordinator and conductor for the papal visit to St. Louis.
- Past Dean of the Saint Louis Chapter of the American Guild of Organists.
- Immediate past Vice-President of the National Board of Directors of the International Student Choral Organization of the Catholic Church, Pueri Cantores.
- 2010: Saint Louis Chapter of the American Guild of Organists: Avis Blewett Award for significant contributions to the musical life of the Greater Metropolitan Saint Louis Region: Dr. Romeri and his wife Karen.
- Dean of the Philadelphia Chapter of the AGO.
- Liturgy Committee of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C.
- May 2015, received the Westminster Choir College Alumni Merit Award for “distinguished contributions to the Field of Sacred Music.”