We are not just material beings, but spiritual persons with a need for meaning, purpose, and fulfillment that transcends the visible confines of this world. This longing for transcendence is a longing for truth, goodness, and beauty. Truth, goodness, and beauty are called the transcendentals of being, because they are aspects of being. Everything in existence has these transcendentals to some extent. God, of course, as the source of all truth, goodness, and beauty, has these transcendentals to an infinite degree. Oftentimes, He draws us to Himself primarily through one of these transcendentals. St. Augustine, who was drawn to beauty in all its creaturely forms, found the ultimate beauty he was seeking in God, his creator, the beauty “ever ancient, ever new.”―Sister Gabriella Yi, O.P.

Bishop Lopes: A Pledged Troth. A pastoral letter on Amoris Laetitia.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Episcopalians elect new presiding bishop.

ENS

Many in the Anglican blogosphere have been counting down the days up to this moment which signals the beginning of the end of the tenure of the current presiding bishop of the TEC (The Episcopal Church USA).

Katharine Jefferts-Schori (KJS), baptized Catholic and raised by apostate parents, has led the TEC crew through several denomination shattering events. She has presided over the dwindling flock's increased dwindling while trying to slow her community's slide into oblivion by employing the failing strategy of greater conformity to worldly agendas, i.e., "relevance". Her foray into "relevance" has led many in her community to walk away to join various continuing Anglican bodies such as the Anglican Church in North America.
In the ten years between 2002 and 2012, the TEC lost 24% of its membership, echoing the trajectory of most if not all mainline protestant denominations.
Jefferts-Schori has presided over what is surely the most litigious period in the denomination's history. She has presided over a considerable number of actions to censure members of her own flock and some 91 lawsuits against Episcopalian parishes and dioceses that have dissented from her denomination's continuing slide into relativism (and irrelevance).

The cost of KJS's hubris?

Besides the cost of lost membership attributable to the implementation of her worldly agenda, some place the figure for pursuing some 91 property lawsuits at or around $40 million. KJS's punitive efforts, however, have not been entirely successful. The (Episcopal) Diocese of South Carolina, for example, won its case against the national body to retain its properties. Curiously, the TEC has included the breakaway Diocese of South Carolina in its membership roster. Perhaps the KJS-TEC administration is willing to fudge a little on the stats to reassure the residual deckhands that the TEC dinghy is only sinking a little.

Replacing Jefferts-Schori is Michael Curry of the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina.
ENS 
(Curry) will serve a nine-year term that officially begins Nov. 1. On that date, Curry will succeed current Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts-Schori and he will become the first person of color to hold that position.
A liturgy marking the beginning of Curry’s ministry as presiding bishop and primate will be celebrated Nov. 1, All Saints Day at Washington National Cathedral.
This is a good and wonderful church and we are good and wonderful people (No whiff of self congratulation there, eh?) and I thank God to be one of the baptized among you,” Curry said, adding, “My heart is really full.” (Full of... himself?)
The TEC (a.k.a. ECUSA, a.k.a. PECUSA, a.k.a. the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America) has a new name: The Fabulous Denomination of Good and Wonderful People.
Look at me, Lord. I'm tolerant; I'm all about diversity. I'm not like those bigots who defend traditional marriage which You, Yourself, designed. I'm not a racist-bigot-homophobe. I give lots of cash to groups like Planned Parenthood. I support a woman's choice to end her unborn baby's life. So bless me, Lord. I'm a good and wonderful person.—cf. St. Luke 18:9-14 and St. Mark 2:17.
The Credo of the Good and Wonderful People
I believe in a god created in my own image and likeness. I believe in me. Despite his being raised in an evil patriarchal religion and society, I think Jesus is a swell guy who said some pretty cool things, but I pick and choose what I think applies to me and my truth.
Except for the decree that there are no absolutes, there are no absolutes.
I feel, therefore I am. Whatever I feel, I know I am right. Others can feel whatever they want as long as we agree we are both right on whatever we want to be right about.
As long as I am a good person I know god will love me because I am god, and I love me.
That's about it. Blessed be me.*
* For those lacking an immediately ability or willingness to discern parody, hyperbole, satire, irony and the like, this blog has been known to use such literary devices to engage the reader to consider alternative points of view. In particular, a certain Catholic perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"A multitude of wise men is the salvation of the world(.)—Wisdom 6:24. Readers are welcome to make rational and responsible comments. Any comment that 1) offends human dignity and/or 2) which constitutes an irrational attack on the Catholic Faith will not go unchallenged. If deemed completely stupid, such a comment will most assuredly not see the light of day. Them's the rules. Don't like 'em? Move on.